Thursday, April 15, 2010

Purpose of the Blog

The future is mercurial; always in flux and beyond the ability of any of us to control with any degree of certainty. There are, however, ways of nudging the course of history in one direction or another. We can make plans, we can set research goals, we can discuss and theorize, and we can ban or forbid lines of research and thought, or at least try to. The priorities we set and decisions we make help to design the future we live in.

I intend to use this blog to document interesting avenues of thought and research, and to comment on their implications and how we can plan for the changes in our world they might create. No one foresaw the computer revolution, and I don't expect to foresee the next great change, but it is an interesting exercise to try.

I will also be identifying and highlighting areas where the human design is inherently flawed, and where we can, and should, be looking to improve the design. In this, my leanings towards Transhumanism will be quite apparent, although I do try to approach it with a good deal more skepticism than many, and with an eye to what is scientifically possible.

And because the politics of today sets the policy of tomorrow, I will be posting relevant political commentary as well. What defines relevant? I'll know it when I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment